Many Georgians are living longer, healthier lives. Here in Atlanta, we’re seeing a large increase in the number of senior citizens who live independently at home well into their 80s. Living independently of other people doesn’t necessarily mean there is no extra help at all. In fact, we’ve been helping people live independently for several years by simply modifying their home to be more senior citizen-friendly. Here are several ways we help the Atlanta area’s seniors maintain their independence.
- Grab Bars – These are quite simply metal bars that give the homeowner something to grab onto in case they feel off balance or afraid that they will fall. Grab bars may be installed in the tub, shower, or near the toilet.
- Walk-in Tubs – Bath tubs have come a long way in terms of design. We’ve installed a wide variety of tubs for people with mobility issues.
- Shower Seats – A shower seat may take several forms, but the overall function is to provide a place for one to sit to attend their personal hygiene needs. This is very helpful to people with mobility or balance problems.
- Widen Doorways and Hallways – The average hallway is 36 to 38 inches wide, and the average doorway is 32 to 36 inches wide. A wheelchair or walker need a space that is about 42 inches wide. This is usually a pretty quick and easy fix, especially for people who are already planning to remodel the inside of their home to fit their new senior lifestyle.
- Wheelchair Accessible Sink and Vanity – Several companies now offer wheelchair accessible sink designs to fit most any decor.
- Raised Dishwasher – The dishwasher is something no senior citizen should be without. We’ve found that simply raising the dishwasher so it is easily accessible from a wheelchair height immensely helps Atlanta’s seniors live independently.
- Easy Access Storage – Everyone needs easy access to storage, especially in the bedroom, closets, bathrooms, and kitchen. We work to ensure that our senior citizens have access to the storage areas they use the most.
- Kitchen Modifications – Removal of kitchen islands, modification of kitchen sinks, cabinets, and counter tops are all part of our aging in place model.
We proudly support Atlanta’s senior citizens, because they have helped mold our great city into what it is today. We feel that they have earned the right to live independently as long as possible instead of being pushed into a retirement home simply because their home didn’t adapt to their new lifestyle. We are a proud member of the National Aging in Place Council and we are Certified Aging in Place Specialists (CAPS).
Call Renewal Design-Build any time to discuss your aging in place ideas or concerns. We would love to work with you to make sure that your home grows and adapts to meet your changing needs.