Renovating your home is often a more affordable and desirable way than moving to increase your personal enjoyment and convenience and to improve the value of your home. However, if you don’t properly plan out your home renovation, the renovation process is going to be needlessly stressful and possibly more costly than it should be. Keep your budget -and your blood pressure- in check with the following tips.
- Research – Before diving headlong into a remodel, be sure to do some serious research. Compile a comprehensive list of design features and changes that you want, and prioritize the list into must-haves and things you don’t need but would like to have if possible. This is also the time to compare the different products and materials available to you, from different appliances to considerations like granite versus solid surface countertops, to make educated decisions when the time comes.
- Budget – Using the information you’ve gathered during your research as well as your own financial information, create a realistic and manageable budget. The budget should include the labor, the products and materials required and plenty of wiggle room for unexpected expenses, which are an unfortunate reality of nearly every remodeling project. We will be able to help plan around the budget that you have set and give you any pointers or information you need to help plan.
- Ask Questions – It will help your peace of mind as well as your ability to communicate with your remodeler if you ask plenty of questions. Learn as much as you can about the process so that you can keep track of progress and understand what to expect.
- Background Check – Verify the information that your remodeler has given you by checking up on any references, checking the license number, insurance information and any certifications. You can even request to visit a job site at one of the remodeler’s current projects.
- Contract – Always make sure that everything you have discussed, from the materials to the cost of the renovation, are all included in the contract.
If you are in need of a design build firm in Atlanta, then be sure to contact us at Renewal Design-Build by calling 404-378-6962. We would love to help you create your dream home!